Brick/Stucco Chimney

Old 01-01-06, 04:34 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 436 Upvotes on 388 Posts
Brick/Stucco Chimney

Hello,

I'm trying to make a decision as to how to repair an existing furnace chimney. It's a brick chimney (probably ~40 years old) in seemingly good condition except for a coating of flaking cement stucco. The exterior portion of the chimney is about 8' high.

While it could be re-stuccoed, a brick chimney would look much better with the rest of the house. I received a quote for $1800 for a mason to take down the existing chimney to the roofline and rebuild.

So my questions... Can a handy homeowner (with some bricklaying experience) replace a small chimney like this? Another option would be to leave the existing stuccoed chimney, and add some angle iron just below the roofline and add new bricks as a new face to the existing chimney.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Mike

Old 01-01-06, 09:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
have you considered removing the stucco?

Old 01-02-06, 10:24 AM
DWBRICK&CHIMNEY
Visiting Guest
if you have exp. sure you can

Old 01-02-06, 01:16 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 436 Upvotes on 388 Posts
Actually, I hadn't considered removing the stucco. Some of the places where the stucco has chipped off took some brick with it. But I guess it would be easier and cheaper to invest in a cold chisel and try removing the stucco first.

If the stucco doesn't come off cleanly, would you recommend a brick facia or taking down and rebuilding from roof level?

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: