Removing cement floor

Old 01-01-06, 10:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing cement floor

I just bought a house that had the garage converted into a bedroom and all they did with the floor is glue carpet on top of the cement floor. There are two problems with this room:
1st the floor is not level. It slopes a total of 4 from the back of the room to the front.
2nd the ceiling is very low. It is 84 in the back of the room and 80 at front.

I was hoping that I could rip out the floor and lower it by at least a half a foot and make it level. The house was built in 1941 so I am not sure how the footings for the garage is or how deep they go. Is it possible (and wise to lower the floor) or should I just level it out and just live with the short ceiling.

Any help would be great Thanks!

Old 01-02-06, 07:29 AM
P
It's hard to say if it is possible without seeing how it was built. However, one thing springs to mind immediately. Since it used to be a garage, if you lower the floor, it will be below ground level. If the foundation is not waterproof, or if you have drainage issues, that floor could end up being a very deep puddle when it rains. See Michael Chang's numerous posts below.

Pecos

Old 01-02-06, 08:13 AM
J
I am not too woried about leaks being a problem because the house has a basement right next to it and the basement is dry. So I assume that the floor would be dry too.

Old 01-03-06, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Removing cement floor

When you pour a new slab use a vapor barrier under the slab. This probably is not under your existing slab, but it is a good thing for general moisiture control.

The Chang posts should not scare you because his is a unique situation that sounds like something that should not have been built in the back yard because of the site and drainage.

You are talking about a 12" drop, not several feet below grade in a low site with poor soil conditions.

Dick

Old 01-03-06, 10:22 PM
T
Yes you can replace the garage floor , make sure you have a good compacted subgrade lay down a good moisture barrier which will also help with the concrete not setting to fast as water being soked up by sub grade also itll need to be atleast 4 inches thick , itll need wire mesh and have mesh chairs which hold the mesh up while the concrete is being placed , the mesh will do you no good laying flat on the ground , use a 4000 psi in 28 days 6 bag air entrained concrete mix , expansion joints where old concrete meets new concrete and control joints at least every 10 feet , i would apply a smooth finish and use a curing compound to help with the curing or atleast keep it covered with plastic a few days . these type of slabs are generally not for the beginner you have to place , straightedge , float , and catch the edges for starters its less headache to just hire a trusted contractor unless your strapped for cash ! ive seen many slabs that have gotton away from people that i have had to come and tear out and replace which cost the homeowner more money than if they would of had me do it from the begining !

Old 01-04-06, 07:33 PM
J
I don't think I will pour the concrete my self but I I can handle to do the removal and the lowering myself. But then let a profesional do the rest. Thanks for all your sugestions!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: