Drilling through brick wall

Old 01-09-06, 09:28 AM
lennox741
Visiting Guest
Drilling through brick wall

Hello. I am remodeling a bathroom that does not currently have an exhaust fan installed. I want to install one, but have the major obstacle of a brick exterior. This is in a condo on the first floor, so going out the roof is impossible. I plan on exhausting through the outside brick wall. My question is how would I go about drilling the hole in the brick wall for the exhaust for the fan? Can I drill the hole from the inside out, or should it be done from the outside in? What other considerations do I need to take into account? I appreciate any and all advise.

Thanks,

RNM

Old 01-09-06, 12:28 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
if you mean something like a 4 or 5 inch hole, i would locate the hole by drilling from inside at the center of the hole. then from outside, perforate the circumfrence and remove with a chisel.before you start make sure you can get power to your location. be sure that the proposed location outside is clear of obstructions and you are not violating codes or association regulations.

Old 01-24-06, 10:09 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a very similar situation - I need to install a new dryer vent and I plan to cut a hole through brick veneer for the 4" vent pipe. Is there a hole saw I can buy or rent to get through the brick, or is a hammer & chisel the best way to go?

Old 01-24-06, 10:44 AM
A
Drill + masonry bit + hammer + chisel.

Like Flopshot said, drill a hole in the center of the proposed vent location, scribe a 4-inch circle on the exterior wall, drill holes around at small intervals on the circle you drew, then knock out the the "hole" with the hammer and chisel.

Although I did see some mighty cool diamond chainsaw blades at the World of Concrete/World of Masonry expo in Las Vegas last week. Those make short work of walls.

Old 01-24-06, 11:12 AM
M
Thanks for your help....

John

Old 01-24-06, 11:28 PM
a roto-hammer drill with a good core bit works best. The resulting hole is clean and symmetrical. most rental places have them. I rented one a few months ago to drill a 4" hole in a 8" thick slab wall. Took about 15 minutes.

As for which direction to drill, you can handle this part a few different ways, but generally should begin from the inside. The core bit has a pilot drill that will punch through in advance of the core itself. So, you can station a helper outside to let you know when the pilot drill punches through. Once it does, you can then go outside and use the pilot hole to align the core and finish drilling the hole.

Or, some people like to use a standard masonary bit to drill a pilot hole first, and then finish with the core bit. Again, you would drill from the inside out, and then core drill from either side until the pilot drill emerges and then switch sides.

Old 02-04-06, 10:31 AM
F
I am not sure if you have completed the project or not - but make sure you are able to do this in the condo (hopefully it is a freehold). I helped a friend do a similar project in his basement and he is currently fighting fines from the condo corporation for "...changing the look of the exterior of the building". Just a quick something to think about.
In terms of completing the project though, I agree with azatty and rdn - use a center hole (making sure you are not running into anything on the outside) - and then do the other holes and "pop" out the brick with the chisel.
Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: