Leveling basement floor

Old 01-14-06, 09:02 AM
bstreyle
Visiting Guest
Question Leveling basement floor

I have a friend and I think he is crazy about what he thinks he can do. Here is his problem. He has a basement that was in two section and divided with a block wall. He removed the wall and installed a steel beam and want to make the room one big room. The problem is that the two floor sections are not the same height with one being 1 1/2" taller than the other. The lower section has different height (not level) due to it being sloped in the center to a floor drain. What he thing he can do is get really soupy concrete/cement and just pour it onto the uneven floor and let it find level on its own. He doesn't talk about working the concrete or anything, just pour and let it go. I have never heard of such a thing and have told him so. Any commnets or suggestions?

Thanks, Bruce Streyle

Old 01-14-06, 09:14 AM
kirk28
Visiting Guest
leveling basement

He needs to hire a contractor with experience in self-leveling concrete. There are special mixes designed for this type of application. Regular cement, when poured that wet, will shrink too much as it cures and fall apart. Then he'll have an even bigger problem.

Old 01-14-06, 11:58 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are self levelling toppings such as ardex, but these are not just soupy concrete, and it would cost a LOT to fill in that much. As Kirk said, regular concrete that is poured wet enough to self-level will shrink and crack in a million pieces in no time at all. If anyone ever needed some professional concrete help, it is your friend.
Regular concrete can be used to even the floor, but it will need to be properly mixed, placed, screeded, floated, and trowelled, just like a regular slab.

Pecos

Old 01-16-06, 12:01 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I did something like this not long ago, removing about 10 feet of a block wall in the basement to make a classroom for my wife's art classes. The floors on either side of the wall, however, weren't nearly as different in height as you describe. I used a product called Level-Quik which, as Pecos indicates, would cost your friend a LOT of money to fix his problem. A 25-lb bag costs around $25, and will, after seeking its own level, cover about a 50 square foot area to a depth of only 1/8th inch. Leveling the floor was the most expensive part of my entire project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: