Supporting home while adding 8' x 10' garage door

Old 01-18-06, 07:25 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Can anyone provide guidance or directions on supporting a house while large openings are made in the basement walls?

Details include: the home has a footprint of 30 x 40. The basement is 12 wide cement blocks x 15 courses high with a 8 wide cap block. This provides almost 10-6 clear from the concrete floor to the bottom of the floor joists. The cement blocks are not filled with concrete. The home is one level above the basement, it is of framed construction and basically just rests on the foundation, i.e., there are no anchor bolts.

I want to strip the dirt from the back side of the home. This will expose the 40 long and 10-6 high cement block wall. In this wall, I want to add two single 8 x 10 garage doors, one man door, and one window.

Thank you for any consideration.

One last item, when the basement floor was poured I remember a wire mesh was utilized and the thickness was 3-4, can I assume this floor will be adequate for use as a garage?

Old 01-18-06, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

From your description of the project, you will need an engineer to determine how to support the house both during construction AND after construction. You are removing significant sections of the basement walls, so you will need headers designed to span the openings.

You engineer will also probably require filling the cores of the wall immediately adjacent to the opening. To get a good job, you should saw cut the block wall openings (much cleaner). This work can be done in conjuction with providing a finished, square end of the wall at the doors and windows.

With that headroom, you should have a nice installation.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: