Joints for interior slab

Old 01-24-06, 11:04 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joints for interior slab

I'm about to pour a 8x14 monolithic slab/footing for an addition. The slab will be enclosed (cooled and heated), and will be covered with tile or carpet. I asked a contractor friend about control joints for that size of slab, and he suggested that since it will be an enclosed slab that will be covered with flooring, I don't need to bother with control joints. Rather, I should wait for it to cure and let the slab crack on its own.

My (admittedly limited) understanding of concrete is that control joints are a "good" thing, and that a slab of the size I'm pouring would typically have a joint or two in it. I do understand that the control joint is simply a pre-determined point for a crack to form, so I my friend's reasoning sort of makes sense.

So: should I joint the slab, or just let the concrete decide where it wants to crack?

Old 01-24-06, 02:02 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If it's getting a floor covering, just let it crack and cover it up. It may not even crack at all. If you want to put a control joint in, cut the floor width ways so you end up with 2 8x7 sections.

Pecos

Old 01-24-06, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
When I had my shop floor poured, the guy who did it gave me the option to save a little money and cut my own control joints. He said very matter of factly the floor will crack. You just have to tell it where to crack. So I cut a 3/4" deep kerf along a snapped line with a concrete blade in my old saw, and if it has cracked, it stayed within the confines of the joint he told me to put in. Very neat job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: