Does Type S Morter Freeze?

Old 01-29-06, 07:39 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Does Type S Morter Freeze?

Im currently working on a brick pillar project and I had a few questions.......
Do I have to worry about the morter freezing at night? Around what temp. should I worry if at all? When I had the footings pored I covered it with thick plastic and piled hay on top of it and it came out fine. Also.... How wet should the morter be? Ive done a few coarses already and the morter is difficult to spread on the bricks.

For Your Info.......
This is my first time working with brick (so any tips would be appreciated)
The temps in my area go anywhere from 35 to 55(day) and as low as 25(night)
These are going to be brick pillars 2ft. by 2ft. and 5ft. high. There are 4 of them. 1 on each side of the two entrances to the driveway.

Old 01-30-06, 03:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
I'm not a mason but since your thread has yet to be answered I thought I would try. Mortar doesn't freeze but the moisture in it does. The process of drying/curing creates some heat but you should atleast cover the brick if overnite temps will get below freezing. I'm sure there is a formula to go by but I don't know it. Mortar should be wet enough to spread easily but not so wet that it runs off the brick or won't hold the brick in place.

Hopefully a mason will see this post and share his wisdom.

Old 02-03-06, 01:51 PM
M
As long as your mortar isnt freezing when your working with it, then your fine. It will take longer to set, but its all good. For the mortor you dont wont it too wet and sloppy, your looking for a "fluffy" mix not too soft and not too hard. Its always easier to work with mortar when is a little stiffer rather then too sloppy.
Keep all your joints (cross joints & bed joints) tight and you use your level on every course when building your pillars and you should be fine.

Old 02-03-06, 03:23 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Does Type S Morter Freeze?

There is not a problem if new mortar freezes when it is not fully saturated. The brick will draw water out of the mortar and some of the water will be used in the curing. Just keep the new masonry lightly covered the night after you lay the brick with the temperatures you described.

Dick

Old 02-04-06, 07:34 PM
U
Well thank you for all your input guys. I really appreciate the fast responses. I havent had any problems yet.

Here are some links to pictures. I will post more when im done.

Before picture of just the footings......
http://myspace-462.vo.llnwd.net/0046...68325462_l.jpg

During picture..........
http://myspace-599.vo.llnwd.net/0046...68325599_l.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: