Converting a window to a door

Old 01-31-06, 05:46 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Converting a window to a door

I have a 6' wide window and I am planning on replacing it with a sliding glass door. The exterior of my house is brick. I am planning on using the existing width opening of the window and cutting the brick out below to make room for the door. I am going to remove the bricks that are turned at the sill (don't know the name for this) and move them down to the bottom of where the door will go. My question is: Can I cut straight down on the sides and leave it like this or do I need to remove the bricks on the sides that got cut and replace them? If so how and with what do I replace them?
Thanks

Old 01-31-06, 01:22 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can cut right down the bricks to create your opening in the facade. You will probably trim the door covering the cut bricks. Be sure you don't loosen the ties holding the facade to the structure.

The real issue is the structure of the wall behind the bricks. Depending on how it's framed, changes may have to be made inside and on the sill where the door will sit. If it were me and I was committed to this project, I would pull down the sheetrock inside to know exactly what's there, before buying a door or submitting a permit.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-06, 05:22 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't think that my trim is going to cover the brick edges completely. Should I pull out the cut ones and turn them around so the uncut edge is against the door trim? Do people do this?

Old 02-01-06, 05:20 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can do that - obviously it's more work and threatens to undermine the bricks you are keeping in place. You will need to work cautiously.

Again, I would be certain you can make the wall stucture work for your plans.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: