cracks in stucco on concrete block wall

Old 02-17-06, 06:55 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool cracks in stucco on concrete block wall

I posted this a few days ago but can't find it. I have a cement block wall that had stucco applied to the block and cracks appeared along the block lines. I dug out some morter and repointed the block and when it dried it too had a crack. If I stucco over the morter is it still going to crack. If so, what can I do to prevent these cracks from showing? Thanks. Ken

Old 03-05-06, 02:02 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bronco427
I posted this a few days ago but can't find it. I have a cement block wall that had stucco applied to the block and cracks appeared along the block lines. I dug out some morter and repointed the block and when it dried it too had a crack. If I stucco over the morter is it still going to crack. If so, what can I do to prevent these cracks from showing? Thanks. Ken

Have you got metal lath to base the stucco? If not, perhaps you should have. Metal (galvanized) lath provides for a mechanical bond as well as an etch bond to the two surfaces. Were the walls clean and a bonding agent used with the original application of stucco?

Having said all this I might add if the stucco cracks along block joint lines then it sounds like something is moving. Any number of things may be cause for your dilemma from block/joint shrinkage to temperature extremes to footing movement. Not much flexibility to a block wall.

bs5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: