Chimney Parts

Old 02-18-06, 12:19 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chimney Parts

OK, I have a problem, but before I can address that problem I have another problem.

I don't know the names of chumney parts so I will do my best to explain. With my chimney is a knob on the outsode of the mantle, through the brick above the firebox where the wood burns. This knob is, in some way, related to the damper. If I knew the name of this knob I could explain better.

The knob seems like a way to open and close the fireplace damper but the knob is missing some parts (I think) inside the firebox where it connects to the damper. If I look up to the top of the firebox I can see a handle there I can use to open and close the damper but would like to get this other knob working because I think it will open and close the damper from the outside of the fireplace.

Anyone have any idea of what I am talking about?

Joe.

Old 02-23-06, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Joe: the knob is appropriately called the damper control knob. What has most likely happened is a cotter pin has either melted or broken that connects the knob rod to the damper cantilever rod. If you want to do this yourself, wear some old clothes and use a large drop cloth under you. Get a good light to illuminate up into the chamber and lay on your back to see exactly what has broken. If you are simply replacing a cotter pin (which is my guess) replace it with a stainless steel one, as it will last longer since it won't rust. After all, fire is only fast rust. Post back with the results of your exploratory surgery.

Old 02-23-06, 07:02 PM
J
Thanks for the replies.

Here is what I have: http://www.joevb.us/images/knob.jpg

The rod in the picture connects to the knob in the front of the fireplace on one side and on the other there is a cotter pin. The bracket that supports the knob is stationary so I can only move the knob back and forth a little bit.

If you follow the damper bracket to the rod for the knob you can see that it goes completely around the rod, if I lift up that bracket a little there is a bolt that will stop it from coming completely off the rod.

I can spin the knob all day long, you can see that will do nothing. Is this thing connected wrong in some way? Is there something I can fix or do you notice that any parts are missing?

Again, thanks for the help.

Joe

Old 02-24-06, 05:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Joe: it looks complete, and like it should work. How loose are the parts in the mechanism? They shouldn't be tight at all. In addition, you could wd40 the joints, and it may free up a frozen one that is not obvious on first sight. Try doing that and pulling/pushing the knob rod. It is possible by doing this it will free up. Post back and lets see what happens.

Old 02-24-06, 06:58 AM
J
From the picture I don't see what can move back and forth if I push/pull the knob.

You can see the rod that is supported by the bracket, that bracket is fixed and because of the cotter pin the knob only moves back and forth about 1/2 inch.

If I open and close the damper from the other handle I can see how the bracket in the picture moves but I can't see how the rod/knob can move in a direction that will open and close the damper.

The bracket for the damper in the picture is free floating over the rod, there is some play. So even if I removed the cotter pin and was able to move the rod back and forth I wouldn't be able to open and close the damper...the rod would move independnt of that bracket.

Not sure what I am missing.

Joe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: