slab removal

Old 02-20-06, 04:13 PM
Ron999
Visiting Guest
slab removal

I need to remove a concrete slab in my backyard. For some reason it's 8 inches thick. Why that thick is beyond me. What are my cheapest options? Can I rent a jackhammer and do it? Is that feasible for such a thickness? And/or will I rattle all my teeth loose in the process, and throw my back out?

Thanks for any tips.

Ron

Old 02-20-06, 05:06 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, a jackhammer will be your best bet. Hopefully the slab won't have rebar or wire mesh in it. rental yards rent electric jackhammers, but they don't work very well. It would take you a long time with one. The easiest to work with, and easiest on the back, is a 60 pound air powered jackhammer. The 90 pounders are too heavy. Get 1 point and 1 chisel bit. If one gets stuck in the slab you can knock it loose with the other. Don't forget the ear plugs, gloves, and safety glasses/goggles. Do you have a trailer hitch to pull the compressor home? Good luck.

Pecos

Old 02-24-06, 09:41 PM
Ron999
Visiting Guest
concrete removal

I can have an air jackhammer, with compressor, delivered for a day. Cost about, $100.

I just want to know if a 60 pd air jackhammer can indeed break up a 12x26 foot, 10 inch thick slab?

And what's an inexpensive to get rid of that concrete?

Old 02-25-06, 03:12 AM
P
I've never noticed a difference in performance between a 60# and a 90# hammer other than the weight, but if you're nervous about it get the 90. I've torn out sets of steps 3 feet thick with a 60 though. As I said before, hopefully there is no rebar or wire mesh in your slab.
As to disposal, call a local trucking company or concrete contractor to see if they'll haul it off. You'd probably have to load it for them though. Also, check with a dumpster company to see if they'll deliver you a dumpster capable of handling that much concrete. We do this a lot. You have to have a good place to set it though, and if on the street, you may need a permit. Also call a local ready mix concrete plant to see if they accept broken concrete. Last, call the local landfill to see if they can refer someone. Good luck on your tearout.

Pecos

Old 02-25-06, 06:28 PM
Ron999
Visiting Guest
removal

Good tips Pecos.

Thanks for that.

I called a local guy who said he'd bring a backhoe out, remove the concrete, and take it away. For $1000-$1500, depending on the thickness of it.

I think I'll try some of your tips. Much cheaper.

Old 02-26-06, 10:50 AM
P
Ron, do you know for a fact that the concrete is 8-10 inches thick, or does it just look like that on the edge? It could well be a standard 4 inch thick slab with a turned down edge. If it wasn't that thick on the edge, the fill stone would just spill out on the top of the ground and create a void under the slab. Hopefully for you it's just a turned-down edge.
If it doesn't cost anything for a quote, I'd get another quote or two for having someone else remove it and haul it away. The first quote sounded pretty high.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: