Building additional rooms

Old 02-21-06, 03:44 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building additional rooms

I am planning to add two rooms and two bathrooms to the house. These additions are totally outside at the back of the home and involve everything from sketch. Like design, pouring concrete slabs, framing, Plumbing, roof, walls, HVAC, flooring etc

I am very handy and would like to do all the work myself with help of couple of my friends. I do not have any prior experience in this type of work

Any idea where I start? What is the sequence of work? I know I need to start with design, but donít know after that. Any resources/web sites links will be appreciated

Thanks

Old 02-23-06, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
First and foremost, make detailed drawings of what you want. You may even be required to have blueprints. You are undertaking a BIG project for a diyer. After this, you will need to pull permits. Cobb County and/or the City of Marietta will be a bear, so be prepared for being placed under scrutiny in regards to your expertise. They probably won't let you do your own electrical and plumbing anyway. Consider subbing out the footing and block work. This will get you to the part that will be level and plumb, and will give you a good starting point.
Another point, you will need to do it before June, because if you don't, you will have to be classified by the State as a General Contractor. You will have to come up with $200 application fee, have $300,000 in liability insurance, and have a letter of credit from your bank. I just got my application, and there are some heavy requirements coming up. We welcome them, as it will insure people are getting proper work done with proper protection. If you contract this addition yourself and have subcontractors on site, make sure they have worker's compensation insurance, and liablility insurance to protect you.
Good luck with the project!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: