Why can't I use standard grout outdoors?

Old 02-25-06, 09:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am looking to tile an outdoor patio (currrently slab) and have read that I should use colored mortar versus standard sanded grout. Why? Is it because it is not waterproof or is it due to cracking with temperature fluctuation??? I did a small patio as a test and had a very hard time coloring the mortar consistently - alternatively, where can I get mortar with the collorant pre-mixed in??

Old 02-25-06, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Are you refering to mortar or grout? You have used both terms in your question.

Color has absolutely nothing to do with the durability of grout, except possibly reduce the durability in some cases. Some pigments are used to get desired colors at the expense of color-fastness and duability.

Much depends on your climate. and the products you are using it with.

Dark colors often use black as one pigment. The cheap carbon black is really not a pigment and will lose its effect due to weathering. The more costly iron oxide black is much more permanent as are all of the irom oxides.

Forget about trying mix your own. You can never get as consistant as pre-packaged mixes. The quality pigments are so strong a very small error can cause a major color shift.

Dick

Old 02-25-06, 03:35 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was told to use mortar instead of grout for the tile joints....I can get pre-mixed colored grout anywhere, but do not know where to find colored mortar.... I am in Northern California where temperature fluctation is about 30 - 110 Degrees.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: