Cement Slab

Old 02-25-06, 05:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Cement Slab

I want a cement slab 40" X 40" in front of my workshop what do I need and what should the temperature outside be. I have plain cement and sand seperate can I use them. What will the cost be. Thank you.

Old 02-26-06, 04:47 AM
P
A 40 x 40 slab at 4 inches thick would require about 20 cubic yards of concrete (two very full ready mixed concrete trucks). If you wanted to use whatever sand and cement you have, you would have to have a LOT of it. Also, you would need to add stone in proper proportions to come up with concrete. Sand and cement alone is more like mortar than concrete, and is very weak in comparison. Are you sure you have portland cement (right) and not masonry cement (wrong)? If you're in a freeze/thaw area, air entraining admixtures are also a "must" for exterior concrete to guard against delamination of the surface.
In my opinion it would be wise to contract a concrete slab of this size out to a professional with all the proper tools, equipment, and know-how. In general, I don't believe concrete is a DIY project, unless it is a very small area. I'm sure you could excavate, form, and prep it yourself, but if you're not a professional finisher a 40 x 40 would probably be a bad idea. However, if you know someone who is proficient at concrete work, they may be able to help you on the finishing end. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 02-26-06, 06:03 PM
J
Smile Slab

The slab I want to make is a 40 inch X 40 inch. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that. You're right if it was 40 ft X 40 ft I certainly would get a professional to do it.

Old 02-26-06, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cement Slab

Just buy 6 or 7 bags of Quickrete and don't worry about the proportions and getting some coarse aggregate to add. You need about 4 cubic feet of concrete.

Dick

Old 02-27-06, 02:52 AM
P
Sorry, I saw the " marks but thought you had hit them by mistake and meant feet. Please disregard my post. Dick's advice is right on, buy bagged concrete mix.

Pecos

Old 05-06-07, 10:29 AM
J
Concrete Mixer

There are several options you have for your project. There are several U-Cart and Rental Yards that offer a full size towable concrete mixer for use by General Contractors, Homeowners, Municipalities, and pool/landscape customers.

Most of these companies supply the 5 or 6 bag concrete mix with the machine. These machines range in size from 1 cubic yard to 1.25 cubic yard tow behind concrete mixers.

You may view a machine similar to what you need at www.concretetitan.com

Old 05-11-07, 03:51 PM
C
Pecos… 20 yards of concrete, Ha ha ha… I had a good laugh on that one because I know you miss-read and your reply information you post here is excellent.

NOW, “I” would not rent a mixer for this job but mix it up in a wheel barrow and I always add some extra Portland cement and washed stone to the pre-packaged cement mixes… they are just too sandy in my opinion

Old 05-11-07, 07:48 PM
P
Concrete man,
have you ever seen the movie "This Is Spinal Tap"? The guy builds a 30" tall model of Stonehenge for a stage production instead of a 30' tall one. The "druids", who dance around it are Little People (politically correct term). They are taller than Stonehenge. Funny stuff, and I felt the same way when I realized what I'd done when I'd answered this question.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: