Carpet to Concrete floor

Old 03-02-06, 09:40 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpet to Concrete floor

I was at a very nice upscale resort over the weekend and the flooring in the cabin was the concrete slab which had been painted. It looked very nice. Well now the significant other has an idea in her head to take out our carpet and paint the concrete slab instead of installing hardwood floor. Has anyone ever done or had experience with such a thing? What are the pro's/con's?

Old 03-10-06, 12:51 AM
P
Lightbulb Carpet to Concrete Floor

I work for one of the Big Box Home Improvement Centers in the flooring dept for the past few years.

Couple of questions:
Q1: Do you have any cats or dogs. If so Laminate (good quality) as it is a lot more durable and much harder to scratch.
Q2: Hard wood do you mean engineered or 1/2 or 3/4?
Engineered is where they use a thin veneer over the top of other types of wood. This type of floor if you get a deep scratch you can't repair it (as is having pets with claws)
Q3: What does your sub floor consist of?
Cement can use Laminate with a 6 mil plastic over the floor or engineered only no 1/2 or 3/4 hardwood unless you build a wood subfloor over the top of the cement first.

Closing there are floors that you attach to the floor (nail, glue, staple) and also float (not attached)

Any other questions? Just ask

Old 03-10-06, 10:31 AM
a painted concrete floor versus hardwood floors? that's like night & day! 2 totally different looks - not to mention "feels"! and probably, the concrete wasn't just painted - it was probably acid etched or stained.

for better info, i'm moving this to the Concrete forum------->

Old 03-10-06, 02:54 PM
P
Annette is probably right about it not being painted. I would bet it was stained instead. Was the color mottled and marbelled, or more of a consistent, opaque color. Painted floors look pretty much like painted walls (opaque and monochromatic) while stained floors can be variegated like marble, tile, etc.
I do acid stained floors all the time in my business and they are very nice. However, there are several factors to consider if you're trying to do this yourself. First, is the carpet glued down? If so, ALL of the glue and residue must be removed prior to staining. Not MOST of it, but ALL of it. Any minute traces left on the slab will stop the stain from penetrating. Since acid stain is a chemically reactive product (reacts with the lime in the concrete), if it can't penetrate it can't react, and therefore it will have no color. The same applies to any paint spots, concrete sealer, or drips of any other substance. They must all come off prior to staining. Furthermore, the stain is transparent, so any discolored spots or defects in the slab will not be hidden by the stain, but will instead show in the finished product. There are many other things to consider. If you do a google search for acid stain you will be able to find far more than I can go into here. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 03-10-06, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I have a customer who, after I remodeled the basement ( I don't do floors) had a guy come in, cut a 1/4" or so groove around the perimeter of the rooms out about 4", and then random designs in the main field. After thoroughly cleaning, he stained each element in a pattern design, leather look, mottled, all the designs mentioned before. It looked super! I thought she had installed terazzo tile or something. I was terribly impressed.

Old 03-10-06, 05:21 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
we are " in process" of removing carpet from a slab house and installing laminate and ceramic. some areas still concrete. i will NEVER have carpet again. even the bare concrete is better.

Old 03-11-06, 04:44 AM
www.scofield.com

www.acidstain.com

Checkout these ideas in the picture galleries of these websites.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: