Siding at slab level

Old 03-04-06, 06:09 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Siding at slab level

I hope this question is not too stupid (actually, that would not be a bad thing).

I am in the process of getting ready to build a garage, because I had been informed of a "minimum distance to rottable material rule", I assumed there had to be at least (I was told 8") of brick/concrete between the ground and the siding (or more correctly, the sill). If that is the case, how come I see so many garages with siding nearly flush to the slab on the front side (and at the same level as on the sides).

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Old 03-04-06, 07:34 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When others make common errors, avoid the temptation to follow their lead.

Old 03-05-06, 09:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
In fla a lot of stick built homes are built directly off of the slab but it doesn't necesarrily make it right. Whenever lumber is close to the ground it is an open invitation for rot. Whether it be grass or bushes moisture is apt to be held close to the bottom of the wall = rot or insect damage. Also when the siding is close to the ground it is hard to even see that there is insect damage until it is too late. In snow country it is even more important to raise the wood portion - you wouldn't want snow laying against the siding with possible water infiltration.

Old 03-05-06, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Siding at slab level

Put one course of concrete block (4,6 or 8" high, 6 or 8" thick) around the perimeter except at the overhead door and the entrance door.

This will make it much easier to keep clean and keep critters out. Also, a little extra valuable headroom.

If you have a non-rotting siding you can come up with a method to bring the siding down lower.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: