Tiling Front Steps

Old 03-12-06, 04:06 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tiling Front Steps

It has been hinted by my wife that she would like to "change the look" of the front steps which I think look just perfect as they are. Of course, I lost that debate. I am thinking tiles may be a good solution, but have little knowledge about tiling in general and almost no knowledge about exterior tiles. I know I must choose something that is non-slip and will absorb less than 3% moisture. I assume I must apply some form of thinset to the concrete and then fill in with grout.
Living in the Kelowna BC area, the tiles and grout would be subject to almost daily thawing and freezing.
Is there any more detailed information out there I can get?
Thanks!
Matt

Old 03-12-06, 07:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Matt: See? if you had come to us first, we could have given you all the professional excuses you would need. I believe you have the best one, however, with all the freezing and thawing. Might I suggest indoor-outdoor carpeting? Nah, didn't think so. Good luck with the project, however.

Old 03-13-06, 02:47 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Matt,
I am a concrete contractor who has torn out and replaced a LOT of exterior tile jobs with stamped concrete. I live in a freeze/thaw climate too, although not as severe as yours. The scenario is as follows: The owner wanted to dress up their concrete so they hired a professional tile installer. He installed what was supposedly frost proof tile and grout. Water penetrated the grout, froze, and popped the tiles off. I came in and charged them more than they paid in the first place to tear their concrete out and replace it.
Because of this, I would never install tile outdoors in your type of climate. If you want to dress up your good concrete steps, try a decorative concrete overlay or better yet, acid stain. I don't really care for overlays for the exact same reason as the tile: potential delamination. However, a lot of people do overlays and have good luck with them.

Pecos

Old 03-13-06, 04:20 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not a pro at this but have seen it a few times and it looks really nice. How about staining the concrete steps ?? One of out friends had his steps and walkway done to where it looks like marble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: