Concrete or pavers

Old 03-13-06, 08:31 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Concrete or pavers

My neighbor built a new concrete walkway along the side of her house which is literally inches away from the side of my house. Now when it rains, the water flows into my property. Her walkway is elevated about 5 in. higher then my property. I am installing a new walkway alongside of my house, pitched away from my house and just about the same height to solve the problem. I am getting estimates from masons and some are recommending pavers instead of concrete. My initial concern with pavers is that the water might seep throught the seems in the pavers but they tell me that will not happen becasue the seems are filled with stone dust. They also tell me that concrete will eventually crack and cost more to replace.

Should I use pavers for this project or stick with concrete? My concern is water flow.
Also, I mentioned building a drain along side the walkway that would be buried under the walkway and the water would flow into a catch basin at the top of the upgrade. Some masons said I wouldnt even need the drain. Is this possible?

Please clear the confusion.

Old 03-15-06, 06:42 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think the question has more to do with personal taste than anything else. Pavers will allow a little water to seep between them, but it shouldn't be of any real consequence.

If the water will just lay between the 2 walkways then you may want drainage piping, if it naturally flows away it's probably overkill. Putting piping under pavers will make compacting the bed during installation more difficult.

Good luck!

(BTW - I once had a girlfriend in West Orange...)

Old 03-15-06, 07:03 PM
T
The amount of water seepage through properly laid concrete pavers is nil unless they will have standing water, and minimal if they do. Concrete pavers are always a better option to me, simply because all of the cracking is pre-engineered, and they look better at a similar price.

Old 03-20-06, 10:02 AM
G
Wink Pavers

syakoban--GF in West Orange--lucky you are you local.

So another words I am assuming if I go with pavers they will be pitched away from the house(for waterflow purposes and to code) the same way as concrete correct? The house is on a slope so the water should flow naturally down(and when the pavers are pitched correctly--away from the house). Thanks for the help

Old 03-23-06, 03:13 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Either way you MUST be pitched away from the house. BTW - if you go w/pavers and want it to be nice, look elsewhere than the box stores for better products and selection.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: