Gravel fill

Old 03-14-06, 12:55 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gravel fill

I live in South Dakota on top of a gravel pit. I have about 3 inches of nice black dirt and then directly underneath is all gravel. How much fill do I need beneath the cement? 1, 2, 3 inches or what? Or, because the ground is the way it is, can I just pour over top of it without much fill?

Also, I need footings. But in what order do we do this? Dig footings, pour footings, form pad, fill with sand (gravel), pour pad? Is this the right order or would it be easier another way?

Old 03-14-06, 04:14 PM
B
Originally Posted by tommyboy92300
I live in South Dakota on top of a gravel pit. I have about 3 inches of nice black dirt and then directly underneath is all gravel. How much fill do I need beneath the cement? 1, 2, 3 inches or what? Or, because the ground is the way it is, can I just pour over top of it without much fill?

Also, I need footings. But in what order do we do this? Dig footings, pour footings, form pad, fill with sand (gravel), pour pad? Is this the right order or would it be easier another way?
===========

Maybe you don't need any fill. Is the gravel fine enough to hold a grade for your concrete? Is the building site or excavation level? Do you need to add any elevation to your planned building site? Asking and answering the questions of yourself and one can decide for one's self. Another point, don't fill any more than is necessary because bearing qualities of soil are best as Mother nature packed it.

What is it you are building anyway? You don't say and it would be easier to answer the other parts of your question if we knew. I suppose if you are building a basement and the walls will be concrete blocks, you would excavate to floor grade and then dig footings, construct footing forms and pour concrete for footing. Then, lay the first course of blocks which might contain the floor which can than be poured next. Slabs for garages and crawlspaces for homes would all be different.

At any rate, good luck with your project and if you add any thing like sand, do so sparingly and compact before you pour.

bs5

Old 03-14-06, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gravel fill

Much depends on what you are trying to build. - House, garage, shop, Walmart, etc.

In any case you will have to have footings deep enough to go below the frost line. If the required depth is substantial, you can go slightly deeper and double your space for very little money.

If you decide to go with a floating structure above the frost line, the concrete will have to be thicker and reinforced so the entire foundation can "float" in one piece without cracking.

Dick

Old 03-15-06, 09:34 AM
T
It is a garage 24x34 ft. I am putting in 3 ft footings. Maybe if I just pack the ground I have now and fill in where I need in order to make it level that should work.

Thank you so much for the input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: