U-Groove foundation for steel building

Old 03-18-06, 09:51 AM
thewizard
Visiting Guest
U-Groove foundation for steel building

I am looking at P-Series Steel buildings for use as a shop. Those buildings require a 9 1/2" to 12" wide by 4" deep "U-Groove" in the foundation perimeter for anchoring (grouting) the building to the foundation after the building is erected. I did a lot of concrete slab work, thirty years ago, and cannot figue out how this "Groove" would be fabricated for the concrete pour. Does anyone have knowledge on how this is accomplished? Thank you.

Old 03-18-06, 01:00 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use sheets of blue or pink 2" styrofoam, rip them 12" wide and stack two on top of each other for your 4". Use steel concrete stakes and drive these down through the styro to pin it in place. Stick a nail through the stake at your finished floor elevation to hold the styro from floating up in the slab. Make sure you use enough stakes and nails to hold the styro in place and to elevation all down the line. When you pour, you can use the styro as a screed elevation. As you're finishing, as the concrete is getting hard, pull the stakes but leave the styro in the slab. The styro is easy to remove the next day or later, because it tears out fairly easily. You shouldn't have to worry about the stake holes in the bottom of the resulting trench because they'll be filled in with grout afterwards anyway. good luck.

Pecos

Old 03-18-06, 01:05 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use 2x4s to create the blocking, hanging off the edge forms, with an occasional metal stake driven on the inside to keep it from floating. Like this:

http://www.lizking.com/blockout.jpg

Old 03-20-06, 08:36 AM
thewizard
Visiting Guest
Pecos and Tscarborough,

Thank you much for the information. I will experiment with both techniques.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: