Help...Crack Repair

Old 03-19-06, 09:40 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help...Crack Repair

We're first-time homeowners, and newbies to home repair. We need to stop basement water seepage in our 1950's house. Could folks give us recommendations for the best materials to use for repairing exterior, and interior, cracks in concrete foundation? Also, we need to seal a gap where the concrete service walkway meets the foundation.

Lastly, we have some cracking on concrete walkway that we'd like to repair.

Since Spring rainy season is almost here, any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-19-06, 12:22 PM
E
Me Too!

It sounds as if we have similar problems.

at the joints of our walkway and driveway as well as joints between walkway itself there appears to be some sort of elastic waterproof caulking which has pulled away and no longer seals the cracks. The water seems to be seeping down along the foundation and leaking into our basement through the porous old rock walls (they have been painted but the paint is pealing away now).

I'll be watching this for further posts too!!!!!

Old 03-19-06, 01:34 PM
Help...Crack Repair

First, make sure you have long enough downspout extensions (8') and positive drainage (away from the house). This should solve most of the problems associated with the amount of water that would leak into the cracks and joints.

Large cracks and joints can best be sealed using a backer rod (closed cell flexible foam) available at any good big box. Put the rod into a clean crack or joint to a depth of at least 1/2 the width of the crack below the surface. This will allow you to force the caulk into the opening and get good adhesion the both sides of the opening.

Use a quality caulk designed for the purpose. You get what you pay for and you do not want to use up all your free DIY time on this project by doing it over.

Dick

Old 03-19-06, 03:54 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've had good success using a 2 part epoxy, concrete patch and repair product. You have to open the crack a bit with a chisel. I repaired several foundation wall cracks and had to build a small dam to hold the product until it set up. I did the repairs a couple of years ago and they've not reopened. The only drawback is that it's a bit pricey.

Old 03-19-06, 09:19 PM
F
Help...Crack Repair

Dick and Wayne,

Thanks much for your helpful suggestions! (we will also address grading and downspout issues.)

Just one more question: Would either of these methods be suited to correct narrow to hairline cracks in our cement walkway and interior basement walls?

Thanks again.

Old 03-20-06, 02:36 AM
P
For the walkway cracks, I would do as Dick suggests and use caulk. On the basement wall cracks, I would use hydraulic cement. This type of cement is specifically designed for patching vertical cracks/holes. It can actually plug a seeping crack. Hydraulic cement is available at about any hardware store and is relatively cheap. I've used it to fix basement wall cracks in the past. If you use it, don't mix up too much at a time because it sets up FAST!
On the sidewalk/driveway, you need something flexible like caulk because the cracks will continue to move during temperature changes. Anything rigid will just crack again and flake out. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 03-20-06, 05:48 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I've had better success with epoxy than with hydraulic cement for repairing cracks. Hydraulic cement works OK especially if the crack is wet or seeping, but you might have problems with adhesion to the existing wall. Either product will require that the crack be opened up enough to accept the patch material.

Old 03-21-06, 03:37 PM
F
Smile Help...Crack Repair

Thanks guys,

Your advice is most appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: