brick sidewalk

Old 03-25-06, 05:44 AM
handy gal
Visiting Guest
brick sidewalk

OK, I am having a new brick walkway put it but the bricks are much lighter then I really wanted. Does anyone know a way to darken the bricks without actually painting them? I have tried putting some poly urethane on one and it did seem to darken it a bit. Anyonw know if this will work or have any other suggestions???

Old 03-25-06, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
brick sidewalk

I assume you are talking about clay brick rather than concrete pavers.

Clay is fired at very high temperatures and the color is determined by the minerals in the clay and the firing temperatures. After that you have little to do about changing the color.

You tried a surface coating. It is a very temporary coating that will not last long because of the weathering and abrasion.

If you have not installed the brick, I would suggest returning them or selling them at a reduced cost and buying darker pavers.

If the pavers are put in there is little to do to change the color unless you can really stain them with a ultra-violet resistant, non-organic stain that penetrates some. There are some way out possibilities, but you run the risk of ruining the appearance - some of these materials are very strong and unpredictable.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: