footing for retaining wall

Old 03-25-06, 08:01 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

i would like to put up a retaining wall this year and am curious about how to start out, im in grand rapids mi. and was wondering what i need to do as far as the footing/foundation. main question is do i need to go as deep as the frost line or can the footing be not as deep? im not sure about the materials ill use (wood or landscape stones/blocks) also, does the footing need to be continuous or could i use the quickrete tubes say every four feet or so along the run of the wall? also i guess i need to ask is the footing going to be crushed stone? or cement like a foundation wall? thanks for all

Old 03-25-06, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Use segmental retaining wall block (Anchor Wall Systems, Allan Block, Keystone, Versalok, etc.). All are available nationally and have good web sites. They each has a number of different prodcts depending on the size and desired appearance.

These units do not have to have a footing below the frost line (only a foot or two). You shoulf never use a concrete footing with this type of product. not matter where you are or how high the wall is.

Usually the walls up to 4 feet are gravity walls and require no engineering. From 4 feet to 50 feet high you will need engineering.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: