Mortaring between blocks

Old 03-26-06, 04:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mortaring between blocks

Building a 40" long 2 brick high(8x8x16) CURVED retaining wall (radius about 15') footing is poured but when i go to mortar the 8x8x16 bricks I get a 1" or 1.5" gap at the front of the brick and almost no space in the rear (make sense?) should I just fill the gap with mortar? the bricks will be faced with river rock after the wall is built. thanks

Old 03-27-06, 03:12 AM
B
Originally Posted by mcgyverdc
Building a 40" long 2 brick high(8x8x16) CURVED retaining wall (radius about 15') footing is poured but when i go to mortar the 8x8x16 bricks I get a 1" or 1.5" gap at the front of the brick and almost no space in the rear (make sense?) should I just fill the gap with mortar? the bricks will be faced with river rock after the wall is built. thanks
===========================

Sounds to me like you should be using half blocks (8X8X8) for a radius like that. It's OK if the back touches and normal for the front of the radius to fan out when dealing with the joints. See to it these joints are well filled and compressed to prevent water from accumulating and make sure you provide tile and divert any water from the uphill side using wash stone and 4"perforated pipe.

When laying up this wall, try to keep the radius in check which means you need to keep the center in mind somehow so you can check block placement as you lay up the radius area's. BTW, you are working with blocks.....not bricks.

Good luck with your project.

bs5

Old 03-27-06, 03:20 PM
M
Ahh yes, 8x8 blocks makes sense. one other question, i'm having trouble finding lime for my 1:1:6 mortar mix. The yard says don't worry about it just do a 1:3 mix with Portand.... Is the lime used the same as they line the lines on fields.....

Old 03-27-06, 03:38 PM
T
Just use a type N or S masonry cement~ at the volume and scale you are doing, it won't matter. And no, they use marble dust to line athletic fields, not lime (at least they shouldn't).

Old 04-07-06, 12:54 PM
B
instead of using half blocks 8x8 just cut the horns of the blocks on the inside face and leave the outside one on this will give you proper joint size, half blocks are more expensive,

Old 04-07-06, 04:34 PM
T
I charge a dollar a cut, so using half blocks, especially if you don't have a 14" saw is cheaper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: