footing size?

Old 03-28-06, 02:48 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
footing size?

im making a pond 5 feet deep and 20 feet by10 feet...i will be using cinder block walls..3 1/2 feet will be in the ground and about 18inches above ground..i was going to make my footing 2 feet wide and 1 foot deep...i was told i only have to go 6 inches deep on the footing,but the person who told me isnt too experienced i feel...if anyone could give me some asvice i would appreciate it ...i will be using standard home depot cinder block..8x8x18..i will place rebar from footing to the top of the wall straight up,and then fill the cells of the block when walls are complete ...thanks again...

Old 03-28-06, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
footing size?

When you think about it, you have very little load on the footing since everything is balanced when you have a pond. The only problem is when the ground is saturated and you have no water in the pond.

Go with an 8" thick continuous footing to set your 8" wall on top of. The amount of concrete is not important in terms of cost and will give you more strength than you would ever need.

Dick

Old 04-07-06, 12:28 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
standard rule of thumb for footings usually but its not code because there are a lot of contributing factors is that your footing should be 2 times the thickness of your walls,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: