Plywood top??

Old 03-29-06, 02:54 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Plywood top??

I inspected my chimney (no fear--split-level) and noticed that the mortar(?) was wearing away at the cap and underneath was plywood. I also noticed that the last liner was a cutoff so I pulled on it and it lifted off + out. Further checking revealed that the the next two, 2-ft. pieces were also loose. I could also see inside and saw that there is space between liners and brick. No support?? Could someone please tell me what is supposed to be between the brick and liner. Should I pour cement down there? Leave it and rebuild cap on plywood. If the plywood was not ther how would the mason build the cap?? BOB Please send info, am befuddled

Old 03-29-06, 05:00 PM
T
Call a chimney sweep service and they will make it all better (and to code).

Old 03-29-06, 05:16 PM
B
It's OK that the liners are dry stacked. When I built brick chimneys with clay liners I used a high temp cement (which never hardened). To line up and keep chimney liners flush and plumb I used to use a small bit of fiberglass insulation. Clay liners can expand and contract much better when they are not in contact with a mortared brick on the outside.

Caps should be made of regular concrete and never just a wash or masonry cement (mortar). If it is necessary to support the concrete for initial construction.....I used a sheet of tin.........never plywood.

bs5

Old 03-30-06, 09:05 AM
M
Thumbs up

Thanx, guys. Hmmm, yup, tin sounds good boss. :-) Ya think I could just pack that space with that pink insulation? Yeah, I am going to talk to a chimney sweep. I'm sure they do more than clean chimneys. I feel better! :-) RAM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: