Stepped footer

Old 03-31-06, 04:18 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stepped footer

I have posted here before regarding a garage foundation. To make a long story short, due to the high cost of construction, I will be taking on the project myself (other than having a retired mason neighbor help me (do?) most of the block and brick work and I will probably have someone pour the pad after I do all the preps).

Anyhow, I am going to do the footers, 8X16, min of 18 deep (local code depth). In the process, I will be going over the power cables (hopefully, I will not go that deep). In an attempt to avoid the cable, I may want a stepped footer (8 step to correspond to a tier of block). Pardon me if this is a stupid question.

I will have to put up a barrier (form) to elevate the concrete on the second tier. How would I prevent the higher level of concrete from running under the form and trying to equalize level on the lower tier? Is concrete thick enough so it will not do this?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 03-31-06, 11:41 AM
C
I would venture that the power company or the building code, one of the other, will not permit building over the buried cables. You may have to move the cable or build elsewhere. In any event, the cable should be 30 or more inches deep. Most places require that the utility company or so other organization be summoned to mark underground utilities such as this. I recommend checking on this to avoid the cost of having to move the cable after the building is built or demolish the building.

Old 03-31-06, 12:43 PM
D
Power Co

That was the first thing (almost) I did. I called the service that does the marking, found out where the cables were. Contacted both electric and phone, electric tells me there is no problem building over the cable (but of course I have to dig by hand within 2 feet of the marking) and tells me the cable was at least 30" when buried (but could be less if the grade changed after burial). Electric Co also said it was permissable to build the foundation around the cable, if it is unearthed, I just cannot have concrete come into contact with the cable (somewhat corrosive, a sleeve is all I need).

Now there is a little catch, if I "nick" the cable while hand digging (have to do so 2 feet either side of the mark), the utility will replace it at no cost to me (same goes for hitting the cable more than 2' outside the mark). On the other hand, if it is dug by machine (inside 2') and it is hit, I am fully responsible. Every utility is different (I work for another and it would have to be moved if I was in their service territory).

Phone, on the other hand, is supposed to be 24", but according to most contractors, I will be lucky if it is more than 6". Phone has been contacted and will run a new line (for a small fee).

Old 03-31-06, 03:25 PM
B
regarding the stepped footer......build the form from 2 x 8's which are actually 7 1/4" in width or not quite equal to a fully bedded row of blocks which are a full 8" (with joint) per course. So, just make sure you space your stepped footing forms 3/4" to give you a full 8" (equaling a row of blocks + mortar.

Pour the lowest steps first with a stiff mix of concrete before the driver has a chance to add any additional water. Then pour the higher elevated steps without allowing the concrete to bombard heavily from above as the concrete is poured in the form. The step will hold this way and good luck.

bs5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: