Tile over concrete patio?

Old 03-31-06, 08:47 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tile over concrete patio?

Is it okay to install ceramic tile on an outdoor concrete patio. This will be in Michigan so I have to consider the long winters and constant freeze/thaw in this type of climate.

If so, what type of products should I use. Or, if anyone has any other ideas; I'm open for suggestions!
Thanks,
Phil

Old 04-01-06, 02:48 AM
P
I'm not saying it definitely can't be done, but I have not seen outdoor tile hold up in a freeze-thaw climate. The water gets in, freezes, and pops the tile off. I have torn out several jobs here in Indianapolis where people have tried to do it. Every one of them said they had it installed professionally with frost proof tile and grout.
If you're just trying to cover up bad concrete, I think a better way would be to apply a decorative concrete overlay. If the concrete is too badly damaged, a tear out and re-pour would be in order. Concrete stains can be an attractive option as well. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 04-01-06, 04:11 AM
P
Originally Posted by Pecos
I'm not saying it definitely can't be done, but I have not seen outdoor tile hold up in a freeze-thaw climate. The water gets in, freezes, and pops the tile off. I have torn out several jobs here in Indianapolis where people have tried to do it. Every one of them said they had it installed professionally with frost proof tile and grout.
If you're just trying to cover up bad concrete, I think a better way would be to apply a decorative concrete overlay. If the concrete is too badly damaged, a tear out and re-pour would be in order. Concrete stains can be an attractive option as well. Good luck.

Pecos
Pecos,
What do you mean by "concrete overlay?" The existing concrete is in fairly good shape, no major cracks, just a few hairline cracks. The slab is about 20 years old so the concrete is worn out looking. Basically I want to create a patterned tile effect to give it some character. I really don't want to replace the whole slab if I don't have to!
Thanks again,
Phil

Old 04-02-06, 09:49 AM
P
There are cementious products that can be applied over concrete to give it a new look. They can be colored and some come with color already mixed in. They go over the surface about 1/8 inch thick or so. There are thousands of companies that offer this service, but if you want to DIY I'm sure you could come up with a supplier of the materials yourself. Just make sure you STRICTLY follow all directions, especially those involving surface prep.
Do a google search for decorative concrete overlays and you'll get about a zillion sites to look at. Try www.concretenetwork.com first. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 04-02-06, 05:51 PM
B
I have done a couple of exterior patios out of tile and they were all over old concrete. I have also re done a couple of patios that were professionally done. I have found that if you use a prost free PORCELIN tile and use exterior adhesive which is like 200$ for a 5 gallon pail, along with epoxy grout which is also very expensive, and the tile and grout should then be sealed with an Exterior latex based sealer. then you ahould have no problems. I have found that you have to make sure that no moisture is going to get under the tile around all edges butting up to house or where it meets the ground or whereever the tile ends or buts up to anything use exterior caulking. and re do it every couple of years. most of the patios that ive had to take out and re do were originally done using thinset im not sure if it was interior or exterior they used but thinset is just like concrete it is pourus and will hold water and when it freezes it will expand and pop tile. Tile adhesive is not pourus and as long as there is no voids in the underlayment of the adhesive( use a fine V notched trowel) So basically what im saying is that if you go ahead with tile it is possible but its very expensive to do right. and there is a lot of maintenance involved, resealing it every couple of years re- caulking, etc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: