Need Help! Concrete slab for my dog's kennel...How?

Old 04-01-06, 04:38 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Help! Concrete slab for my dog's kennel...How?

Hello,
I hope that someone might be able to help me here. I'm going to buy a 10x10 chain link kennel for my dog. I want to put this slab in myself due to cost. I'm a young lady, and my construction worker dad is always working out of town, sadly enough. I need to know step by step "how-to" please. If someone could just look over my plans, and let me know if I need to add/take away anything. I know to level the area, and create a form with either 2x4's or 2x6's. I'll use the 2x4's. Then I need to kinda make a trench for the form to sit in slightly then back fill a bit, and drive a bunch of stakes in (below the form so I can level the top later), then nail those stakes into the form.
okay, that's all I know (or think I know...was that even right?)

I've read that you should put a layer of gravel down, then wire a few inches above it. Why? I live in HOT SC so freezing is not an issue. After I mix and pour the concrete, then what? Do I do a little at a time or all at once? How do I level it? I would like a slight slope, so that what I clean the kennel it will drain away from my dog. I know that needs to be done in step 1. How long does it take to get hard? Should I put the kennel poles IN the concrete so it won't slide, or should I just put the kennel over the dried?

I'm so very sorry about all the questions, but you guys seem to be so helpful to everyone else!
Thank you very much!

Old 04-02-06, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Well, first off, you're looking at about 75 60# bags of mix for a slab that size. Any chance you can rent a small mixer to do the the job?

Old 04-02-06, 10:01 AM
P
Do it all at once, not a little at a time. Concrete setting time varies with a lot of factors, such as how wet you pour it, how long it takes to pour, outside temperature, etc. The slope should be about 1/4 inch per foot (away from a house or any other structure). The stone underneath is for drainage, and the wire is to hold it together if (when) it cracks. Don't set the posts in concrete, just let the pen sit on top.
It would certainly be easier and probably cheaper as well to order the concrete out on a ready-mix truck and then wheelbarrow it to the site. This is instead of buying that many bags of concrete, hauling them home, moving them around, renting a mixer, and taking all the extra time and energy involved in mixing it yourself. I'd ask your dad for help, or to refer you to someone he knows who could help. Buy a book or go to the library and check out a book on concrete finishing. You'll need to buy or rent some special tools too. Good luck.
PS-check out a thread on this or the previous page entiltled "spreading concrete from a chute" or something like that. It may help you decide what to do.

Pecos

Old 04-02-06, 11:52 AM
B
Thank you both for timely response. Do know if this project would be costly? I'm on a tight TIGHT budget, and am looking for something safe for my dog that I can afford. I'll be doing all of this on my new land, b/c I'm moving in three weeks, which is why money and time is of concern. Thanks again!

Old 04-02-06, 12:55 PM
P
I didn't check tow guy's estimate as to number of bags needed, but if he is correct they would cost you about $165 plus tax. If you need them delivered, add in that cost. If renting a mixer and tools, add those in, as well as forms, stakes, gravel and wire mesh if you decide to use them, a wheelbarrow to transport the mixed concrete to the slab, how-to book, etc. etc.
Only you know if that's affordable to you or not. If money's that tight, just level out a spot and put gravel down as a floor for now. When you feel you can do it, add the concrete pad.

Pecos

Old 04-02-06, 05:26 PM
B
another cost saving way and a lot of labour saving would be to put down concrete patio slabs if you spent 100 bucks youd probley have more then enough, put 6 inches of stone dust down compact it and away you go, or forget the stone dust and just put the patio stones on the dirt make sure its not loose dirt though or it will move when it rains, weeds will grow up through it like this but its a dog kennel he'll like it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: