Glass block windows cracking and falling apart

Old 04-03-06, 12:21 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Glass block windows cracking and falling apart

I own a two flat that also has a bathroom in the basement. All three bathrooms have the exact same window design--glass blocks all around a small 3-louvered window. Last year I noticed that the basement blocks started cracking on the inside; this year I noticed that they are now cracked on the outside, and one of the blocks was so cracked, there was no glass left on the outside. I also noticed that the 2nd floor glass blocks are cracking. Two of the three other sides each have a glass block window with louvers on the front and side stairwells, but they have no cracks.
I am assuming that the foundation might be sinking on that side. Is it possible that because I had that side dug out about 8 years ago to install an outside rod out to the street sewer, that is is causing the building to sink on that side?
What other possible causes could there be?
Should I just replace the windows or what other suggestions do you have?
Eartha K.

Old 04-03-06, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Glass block windows cracking and falling apart

It sounds like there may be some foundation or wall movement.

Glass block are brittle and are susceptible to cracking if there is extra non-uniform loads put on them. That is why there are special details for soft joints when they are installed.

Are there cracks or signs of movement in the wall around the openings? This would be a sign of movement that could crack the glass block.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: