Insulating Concrete Forms

Old 04-06-06, 03:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Insulating Concrete Forms

My wife and I live in Maimi Lakes Florida and we are planning on building a house. Our budget is not very large but we would like to build our house ourselves. We have been in the market for icfs. We have only looked at 1 company called VARIANTHOUSE and they seem to be perfect fro our project. Does anyone have any info on the advantages or disadvantages of using these icfs?
Thanks

Old 04-06-06, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Insulating Concrete Forms

It is a great concretuction system for thermal properties and stability. After what I have seen during the last 3 months in hurricane country (Katrina, Rita ans Wilma), building out of wood is the worst choice in Florida.

ICFs are definitely not a DIY project for you and your wife unless you have a lot of friends (preferably contractors) experienced in the use of ICFs, bracing walls and pumping concrete. It is not like putting up Lego blocks.

If you want a durable hurricane resistant structure you can build yourself, you may consider reinforced masonry that can be built on a day-by-day basis, not requiring the bracing and big-time one day pour. Typical traditional Florida construction (same block), but reinforced as needed to provide the needed strength and stability. Both systems (block & ICF) will be equally hurricane resistant.

The ICF system is good, but it requires thicker foam for the permanent walls that you need or can justify in you climate. The foam thickness cannot be reduced and still provide stability during construction. That is one of the reasons it is not competitive cost-wise in warm climates.

Wood is an option, but it may not be permitted in you area because of the debris impact resistance requirements.

Dick

Old 04-06-06, 06:17 PM
B
I live in a house constructed using ARXX icf system. It works well here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The forms are two layers of foam @ 2 5/8" for the outside tied together with webbing of plastic supporting foam forms which sandwich 6" of poured concrete and 1/2" rod.

First thing of course were the footings with vertical rod every two feet plus one icf high and the basement floor gets poured. Now, the ARXX crew gets to stack foam forms to floor joist level and concrete gets pumped to that level. At this point, the carpenters come in and frame the floor. Now the ARXX foamform folks can stand on the newly framed floor and stand up icf's to the truss line.

This house is so tight and energy conserving you are going to need an air changer for your hot air system or air conditioning system.

We love our home.

bs5

Old 04-10-06, 05:06 AM
J
ICFs

Thanks for the info!!!
One more question?
are there any structural limitations that i should consider when using, the icf? My house plan is for about 2700 square feet. with a few curves.

Also i have checkd the websitses of arxx ,quad lock and varianthouse, they all seem the same except varianthouse house raves about a material called neopor? is it as good as they say? Has anyone seen or used this material before???
Thanks in advance

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: