Retaining wall leaning

Old 04-09-06, 08:46 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Retaining wall leaning

About three years ago I put in a small L shaped retaining wall for a friend. The wall is about 3 feet high made of 18 inch long blocks with a tongue on the top, and a groove on the bottom to lock them together. one side of the L has stairs agianst it made of the same blocks. The other side of the L runs along the driveway then terminates against the house. This section of the wall is leaning out towards the driveway. The leaning has been a very slow process and is getting close to where I think it could let go soon. I will soon be romving the back fill to disassemble the wall, redo the foundation and put it back together. My question is, can I redo the foundation better to keep it from leaning again. The base block is below the level of the driveway and was set on a couple inches of stone dust. There was a small gap between the wall and driveway. I am assuming this is how water got in and eroded the base away. Would just filling this gap with asphalt and sealing it be the best course of action? I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Eric

Old 04-09-06, 09:10 PM
C
Many of the manufacturers of these blocks show filling behind the wall itself with gravel to facilitate drainage. Some of them show using landscape fabric of a sort to separate the soil fill from the gravel. By enabling the water to drain from behind the wall, the pressure on the wall is reduced. You might take a look at the process for installing these blocks as outlined by the manufacturer.

Old 04-10-06, 08:12 PM
E
Thanks for the reply Chris. All recomended steps in the building of this wall were taken. The base is about as close to the specs they listed as possible, except for the width since is was right next to a driveway. The proper backfill was used, in this case #2 rock I believe, 4 inches wide behind the wall, from the base layer of stonedust right up to 6 inches below the top. I saw nothing about using fabric, but that does sound like a great idea since a good deal of soil had made it's way into the stone. At this point I have rebuilt the wall from the foundation up, and used a corkscrew type anchor to tie the wall into the soil behind it with a turnbuckle to join the two and allow for tightening if it shows any type of leaning again.

Eric

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: