Control Joints for garage floor, how deep to cut?

Old 04-10-06, 10:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am new here, and with a new home will likely be spending alot of time here.

We had to pay our builder extra to have the garage floor slab cut. They didn't cut it however until a week after they poured it and it had already cracked in two places by then.

How deep should have have cut the concrete? I measured and they cut only 0.5 mm deep. I thought they were supposed to cut it alot deeper than that.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Old 04-10-06, 11:02 AM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We've always cut 1/4" depth per inch thickness of slab. if it's only as deep as you say it doesn't really "show" the concrete where to crack/break at and will do little more than be a catch all for dirt and junk.

Old 04-10-06, 11:10 AM
J
Originally Posted by IHI
We've always cut 1/4" depth per inch thickness of slab. if it's only as deep as you say it doesn't really "show" the concrete where to crack/break at and will do little more than be a catch all for dirt and junk.
That's what I thought, thanks....and that is all these cracks are doing is collecting dirt.

Joe

Old 04-10-06, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Your saw cuts are not deep enough to be effective.

Since they were cut too late (same ady or next day). the cutting was harder and they did not spend the time to cur deep enough.

The later you cut, the deeper the cuts must be. Cutting after the cracks appear is just an ineffective show or attempt to do it the way it should be, but does not releive the builder of any responsibility.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: