Removing Concrete Driveway

Old 04-11-06, 02:21 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am building a pool in my backyard and have to remove a driveway. It is approx. 6' wide by 50' long. I am having a container delivered to my house to haul away the debris. What kind of tools and techniques would make the demolition of this driveway easiest for the do it yourselfer?

Old 04-11-06, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

You have a minimum of 15,000# of concrete to remove (assuming 4" thick). Do you have any idea what kind of reinforcement there is and how think it really is. Does the container have a place to take reinforced concrete?

You will need equipment to BREAK it up, HAUL it, and LIFT the 15,000 - 20,000# over 6' into the containers.

You may want to have a contractor with the right equipment do it in a couple of hours. The other choice is a lot of friends and a lot of beer.

Dick

Old 04-11-06, 08:18 PM
B
By the time you rent the equipment and/or buy the beer and take care of the medical bills, you might as well pay a contractor to do it. It'll be gone in a day.

Old 04-12-06, 01:50 PM
P
I tend to agree with Bob and Dick about hiring it out. However, if you must DIY, a large skidsteer loader is just the ticket. It will break, lift, and load the concrete easily. If you don't know how to run one, then a 60# jackhammer and air compressor will break it up easily. It's up to you to lift it into the container though. Do not try an electric jackhammer. It would take you 5 times as long with that as with an air powered hammer. Good luck.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: