Painted Concrete Porch HELP!

Old 04-15-06, 05:11 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Painted Concrete Porch HELP!

Last summer - after some 20 years use unpainted - I painted my concrete porch floor using a concrete paint recommended by my home center. I had carefully scrubbed (2 times) and rinsed the floor prior to painting it. We stayed off of it for 3 or 4 days allowing the paint to 'cure' as instructed on the can. Nonetheless, when we placed our plastic footed furniture on the floor, it started chipping the paint immediately! What did we do wrong, and more importantly, what would be the best, most efficient way to remove the paint? We don't want to have to repaint every month or two!!!

Thanks. Also, if someone wants to email me at mapple1@shentel.net with help, I'd appreciate that.

Hary Homeowner Spencer

p.s. love this site!!!

Old 04-15-06, 06:40 AM
P
Do a google search for a product called soy gel by Franmar. It is a stripper made from soybeans that works very well, and it's eco-friendly. Did you acid etch prior to painting to give the surface more profile? That would probably have helped, although paint and concrete are generally a bad combo. Ditto for pigmented concrete "stains" from the big box stores. These are little more than diluted paint.
Pecos

Old 04-15-06, 08:57 PM
B
The product pecos is refering to is called bean-ee-do, available only online.
A big box is not the place to get advice. The only concrete paint worth anyuthing is a two-part epoxy paint. Better is a true concrete stain.

Old 04-16-06, 04:02 AM
P
Bean-ee-doo is one product they make, Soy-Gel is another. From reading the literature, either would probably work. I've only had personal experience with the Soy-Gel though.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: