Cinder block wall crack?

Old 04-19-06, 04:14 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cinder block wall crack?

I have a cinderblock wall that has vertical cracks in many spots of the mortar or grout. What are my options for repair? is there some sort of patching material I can put over these spots. Most of the cracks are small but there is one that is maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch wide.

Old 11-08-06, 04:16 PM
J
Bump for response... i have the same situation. One crack and it is around 1/4" thick. This is a first that I saw water in the basement... what is the fix for this?

Old 11-08-06, 05:02 PM
T
There are several possible reasons for cracks.

1.Do the cracks extend beyond one block?
2.Do the cracks extend through a block?
3.Do the cracks widen and narrow with the seasons/rain?
4.Are the cracks new or old?
5.What is the location of the cracks. Are they at a corner, on both sides of a corner, around windows, over doors, etc?
6.What is the unbroken SqFt of the wall (for instance, the wall is 40'longx10'high, with no windows or doors)?
7.Are there cracks in the slab?
8.Are therec cracks in the sheetrock above the cracks in the basment?
9.Is there water penetration?

Answer those, and I will try and narrow it down for you.

Old 11-08-06, 05:17 PM
J
Originally Posted by Tscarborough
There are several possible reasons for cracks.

1.Do the cracks extend beyond one block? Vertical crack running along the "grout" lines...
2.Do the cracks extend through a block? No just through the grout lines
3.Do the cracks widen and narrow with the seasons/rain? I noticed the crack when we brought the house... I never noticed water before... I almost never came into the basement though
4.Are the cracks new or old? Old
5.What is the location of the cracks. Are they at a corner, on both sides of a corner, around windows, over doors, etc? Underneath the steps leading out the side door.
6.What is the unbroken SqFt of the wall (for instance, the wall is 40'longx10'high, with no windows or doors)? The wall is maybe 25' long and 7 feet high. It was two cracks and I sealed the smaller crack with sealant last week... only because I plan on painting the walls - semi-finishing the basement.
7.Are there cracks in the slab? If you mean floor, then no
8.Are therec cracks in the sheetrock above the cracks in the basment? No, there are steps and a door directly above the crack..
9.Is there water penetration? yes, we have had heavy rain all night last nite and most of today!!! Still raining right now. It is not alot of water.. just a little puddle on the other side of the basement which leads me to believe it is sloped to that area... no where near a 1/4" high

Answer those, and I will try and narrow it down for you.
I saw the crack before and never saw any water before. I ripped up some indoor outdoor carpet a couple of months ago and never saw water on the floor since. The house was built in 1926. When the inspector came when we brought the house he said the crack was a settlement crack and no real affect on the foundation... the walls are "waterproofed" with maybe drylok or something. I am unsure but it is a thick paint like substance. The steps outside the door above the crack has a minute crack on the side... I believe that is where the water is seeping in... any ideas?

Last edited by jaslken; 11-08-06 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 05:30 PM
J
Can I use a combination type of thing to stop the water...

For the crack near the step outside and the interior crack - I was thinking hydraulic cement to plug it and after that seals add masonry waterproof over it? It that too much? Can they be used as a combo? They are both Drylok brands... what do you think?

Old 11-08-06, 05:31 PM
T
Use a good sealant to repair the crack. NP1 by Sonneborne is one. Do not use caulking. Cracks that follow grout lines are generally shrinkage cracks, not settlement cracks, which is a good thing in your case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: