Where to buy polymeric sand?

Old 04-24-06, 11:22 AM
T
tme
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Where to buy polymeric sand?

Hi, I live in the Raleigh-Durham area. I couldn't find polymeric sand to fill the joints between 16" square concrete pavers for a patio. THey are red in color. I was looking for a similar color.

Anyone know where I can get this sand? I checked Home Depot/Lowes but didnt find anything but paving sand.

Thanks.

Old 04-24-06, 04:28 PM
Look for someplace other than the big box stores that sells pavers and blocks.

Old 04-24-06, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Where to buy polymeric sand?

If you are laying 16x16 stepping stones make sure you have a well compacted base. They are not like real concrete pavers and can crack. There are few standards established for these units, which is another reason for a sound base.

I have not run across any pigmented polymeric sand, but there could such a thing. Don't (DO NOT!) try to tint it or regular sand with the same materials that are used to make the concrete - it is far too strong and you don't want to take a chance on spreading it anywhere.

Dick

Old 04-24-06, 06:09 PM
T
Assuming you laid the 16x16's on an adequate base, the joint should be less than an 1/4 inch, preferably 1/8 inch. If this is the case, your best bet is to use coarse sand. If the joints are wider than this, you will not have luck with polymeric sand and should probably use decomposed granite or coal slag.

Old 04-25-06, 09:24 AM
T
tme
Thanks for all the responses!

I think the joints are about 1/4 inch. I used some coarse light brownish paving sand from Lowe's. However, some of it has eroded, and thats why I thought to use a reddish polymeric sand to hold everything down and look nicer.

I did make sure the base is well compacted as much as possible.

I'll check around for stores.

Old 05-07-07, 07:20 PM
G
I know this is really late, but what you are looking for is made by techo bloc. Any paver retailer that carries techo bloc product should have it in stock for you. Just try not to leave any excess on the surface of the pavers becuase it will bond to that too!

Old 05-09-07, 01:10 PM
T
tme
gianni, thanks for your response. I will look for that product with retailers in the area.

Old 05-09-07, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
tme -

I assume Lowes sold you the wrong sand. What people oftem refer to as "paver sand" is often masons sand that is meant for interlocking concrete pavers. these are laid with tight joints since it is a structural paver surface.

Since you are using stepping stones, you would need a coarser sand to be stable.

For polymeric sand, you could try Oldcastle/Belgarde, which was Adams Products. If anyone has it, they should be it.

Dick

Last edited by Concretemasonry; 05-09-07 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled my name
Old 05-09-07, 07:21 PM
psrs0810
Visiting Guest
Home depot and lowes do not carry polymeric sand. you would need to go to a supplier that carries hardscaping materials.
usually the easiest thing is to contact the manufacture of the pavers and they will be able to tell you the closet distributor.

Also, they only colors that I am aware of are gray and beige. **Make sure you follow the directions!!

Old 05-09-07, 07:31 PM
T
tme
Dick,

Thanks! I looked up Oldcastle, and there is an Adams right around the corner from me. I will give them a visit and see what I can get. Will post back with an update once I do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: