do it yourself stucco?

Old 04-24-06, 11:28 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
do it yourself stucco?

we have a house that is all stucco except the front which is siding (no stucco under the siding) we would like to get rid of the old wood siding and apply stucco. we would paint the whole house after application to match colors and we are not real concerned about having the stucco texture match exactly.

anyone know if the stucco is a reasonable "do it yourself " project and good resources on "how to"? we are pretty handy people and have done many other projects on our own.

any info would be great!!

thanks,
chrissy

Old 04-24-06, 02:13 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
re: doityouself stucco

I did a fairly large do-it-yourself stucco job a couple of years ago from scratch. My first step was to search for a book on a step-by-step approach. Unfortunately, I could not find a good one, so I started asking a lot of questions at the home improvement stores and other suppliers.

I took my exterior wall right down to the studs, inserted insulation and installed a vapor barrier (sheet plastic is fine), then nailed on some plywood. The next steps are pretty basic: apply lathing (felt paper and chicken wire), then apply a rough (scratch) coat of stucco to just cover the lathing, wait a day or two, then apply a second coat (brown coat) as smoothly as possible using horizontal etching before it dries. The final coat is the color coat which you should choose as your desired color -- so you don't have to paint it. You can match the color exactly to your existing color at a stucco supply dealer. Painting stucco is just not a good idea -- you'll have to keep repainting every few year, and it never quite looks the same as colored stucco.

The tricky part is prior to the scratch coat, you need to put in the edging metal, corner beads, and other hardware. You'll probably have to ask some questions to a pro for that, although if you're patient, you can figure it out.

Many times during my project I wish I had a book that got into the details -- but I'm convinced none exists. I found a stucco pro that I asked some questions and suggested he write a book. He thought I was joking!

Take your time and try to have fun -- it can try the nerves. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: