Sticky Mortar

Old 04-24-06, 06:34 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sticky Mortar

Starting a big cultured stone project next week and was wondering if there is anyway to make the type N mortar extra sticky to help hold the stones up on the lath. I have heard horror stories about having to hold the stones in postition until they start to set up. I can't believe that is how it is done by the pros. I heard about adding clay to the mix?

Thanks

Old 04-24-06, 06:50 PM
T
Oddly enough, the best way to make the mortar sticky is to mix it a little dry. Do Not add anything to the mix. Another trick is to leave the brown coat (the second coat of stucco), slightly rough.

Be sure and do the outside corners first and start at the top. Make any cuts in the center of the wall, but avoid them if at all possible.

Are you doing a drystack style joint or a tooled joint?

Old 04-24-06, 08:01 PM
B
I am doing drystack....owens corning southern ledgestone with a 20% mix of fieldstone. I was planning on applying a scratchcoat and then buttering the back of each stone and pressing into place. I have seen where sone say let the scratchcoat dry, but others including owens corning say do it all at once wet...seems like it would save time that way.

Now they do say only apply enough scratch coat to do 10 sf at a time...if I am buttering the back of each stone does it really matter if the scratch coat starts to dry?

Also they say start at the bottom with drystack...I would like to start at the top for the cleanliness issue, but not sure if it will work with the drystack...

Old 04-24-06, 10:10 PM
Hi Bluepost
If you are going over wire lath, apply a scratch coat, let dry 24 hrs, then install the stone you are correct that drystack are installed from the bottom up. I like to butter the stones and give them a slight twist when I press them in. I also like the mix a little wetter, the stones will pull the moisture out of it and when this happens the stones fall off if it is too dry.
Frank

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: