Refinishing exterior foundation wall (pic incl)

Old 04-25-06, 08:04 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Refinishing exterior foundation wall (pic incl)

Hello!
I am trying to refinish exterior foundation wall of my house. The wall was painted many many times before. See pictures:

http://bismarck.sdf1.org/house_front_1.jpg
http://bismarck.sdf1.org/house_front_2.jpg

I think there at least four layers of paint and other stuff. My wife and I spent a day unsuccessfully trying to clean up all that paint and material. While we were doing that; some of the cracks that were covered up before reappeared.
These are my questions:
1) Should I continue and try to clean all the paint and then:
a) plug the cracks and repaint?
b) stacco over it?
2) Should I just put another chicken wire up and stucco over it?

I think, I have to use the chicken wire approach in the back of the house anyway to cover up this mess:

http://bismarck.sdf1.org/house_back.jpg

Thank You!!
Oleg

Last edited by slvr00gt; 04-27-06 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 05:59 AM
S
Unhappy

Pleeeaseee .
Share some advice with me.
I am hoping to start project this weekend and I still can't figure out how to proceed.

thank you!
Oleg

Old 04-27-06, 07:03 AM
T
After looking at the photos, this is what I would do:

Make sure that any remaining paint is adhered well.

Patch the cracks (I assume they are "dead", that is,not moving, since they were hidden) with a non shrink grout.

Paint the entire surface with a bonding agent designed for this purpose.

Apply fresh cement/sand mix directly to the surface in a 1/4" coat or less.

In the areas like behind the AC unit, I would skim it with the non shrink grout first.

Old 04-27-06, 08:00 AM
S
Thanks! This sounds like a plan!

Can I add something to concrete mix to make final surface white in color?

Can you give me an example of the bonding agent?

Old 04-27-06, 08:45 AM
T
I do not know if it is available in your area, but here white pre-mixed mortar is available. You do not want to use concrete; it has pebbles in it. Ask for glass block mortar if nothing else. White mortar is about twice as expensive as grey. Weld-crete is a widely available type of bonding agent.

Old 04-27-06, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Refinishing exterior foundation wall (pic incl)

For an additive for bonding, there are many under different names. Almost all are latex because of the compatibility with other materials. In addidtion to Weld-crete, other names are Acryl 60(Thoro Products), Laticrete has a product and there are others.

To get white, the only way is to use a material containing white portland cement. Those with sand usually contain a natural silica sand or a white manufactured sand.

Dick

Old 04-27-06, 02:06 PM
T
An additive would help, too, but be sure that the bonding agent you use is capable of being painted on. Some will act as a bond-breaker. Make sure that it says "re-emulsifiable" on the label or lit. The reason I suggest the paint on is because of the existing paint; it will allow the underpinning to adhere.

Old 04-27-06, 03:47 PM
S
I am a little confused:
Do you mean the same thing when you say "bonding agent" and "additive for bonding". Is it still the same stuff I paint the surface with before applying the coat of cement?

Old 04-28-06, 04:04 PM
T
Yes, just be sure the bonding agent you apply as a coat is re-emulsifiable, and then it can be used for both. What that means is that if painted on and allowed to dry to a tacky/dry condition it will become soft with the wet concrete and provide a very good bond. Some bonding agents, those meant to be used as an additive alone, do NOT re-emulsify, and if you let them dry it forms a bond-breaker, i.e. no adhesion between the old and new.

Thorobond is an example of what you want, Acryl-60 is one you don't. Google those for comparative data.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: