Best way to repair concrete crack in patio

Old 04-29-06, 09:30 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best way to repair concrete crack in patio

I have a patio at my home that was newly poured with concrete by the previous owner 15 years ago. The patio was done with one slab being rectangular 17 feet wide by 12 feet before a control joint between the next smaller 12' by 10' triangular slab begins.
A crack has appeared along the entire 17 foot width of the rectangular slab over the winter that is up to 1/4" wide in places and about 1/8" to 1/16" in most of the 17 foot long crack.
I live in a climate with only 8 days a year on average above 90 degrees days.There are fairly harsh winters with about 100 days a year falling below freezing and about 2 days a year reaching zero. There is lots of snow but we never use anything on the patio to remove it just shovel it and sweep it.The patio gets full sun on sunny days but we have mostly cloudy/rainy days and few sunny days.
What is the best way for me to repair the crack myself to make it look as good as possible? Or should I resurface it?Any advice appreciated--thanks--David

Old 05-01-06, 03:26 AM
P
Working cracks are difficult if not impossible to repair. Your climate allows the slab to expand, contract, and move with the ground during freeze/thaw cycles. A rigid crack repair product would be useless, as it would crack and chip out too. Use a flexible gray caulk on it, making it as smooth to the surface as possible. While it's still wet, sprinkle some sand on top to make it look more like the concrete. If your concrete is 15 years old, it's probably showing some sand anyway. Try to match the color as closely as possible. By that, I mean if the concrete is still very gray, use gray caulk and white sand. If it has turned beige over time, use a more beige colored caulk and play sand. Improvise.

Pecos

Old 03-11-09, 10:09 PM
C
Caulk

What exact type of caulk would you recommend using?

Old 03-12-09, 05:12 AM
P
Wow, this has been a long time coming! May, 2006! Have you tried some other repair method in the meantime or are you just a procrastinator like me?
The best caulk to use would be something like SikaFlex or the comparable Sonneborn product (can't remember its name but I think it's NP1 or something like that). You'd find them at a contractor's supply. They come in many colors. Follow all directions to a "T". Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: