Basement wall seperating

Old 05-01-06, 09:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement wall seperating

I have a 1929 home. A screened patio is attached to the first floor. If I pull back the carpet on the patio, I can see light coming from the basement former coal room. This crack runs the length of my home and down one side. Of course this past winter came and let cold air into the basement so I epoxied and quick cemented the crack from the ouside. The crack is only about 1/2 wide in some spots, others less.
I was thinking about getting some sort of tool to make a 1/2 inch gap the length of the crack and then shoaring up one side with wood and pouring cement in the crack. Any advice would be appreciated as I have only done minor work with quick type cement. Also i could consider hiring someone but I have no idea how much such a job would cost.

Old 05-02-06, 05:18 PM
B
is this a live crack has it got worse since you fixed it first? if you grinded it out to 1/2 inch all the way through and then rope and caulked it i think that would be better, it would let the crack move and keep the air elements out. if the crack is structural and runs down the side of the house then you would have to get somebody to look at it, chances are if the crack has been there for a while its probley not geting any worse then you could just fill it with concrete but then you risk the chance of it moving again a cracking again,

Old 05-03-06, 08:29 PM
T
crack

Thanks for the help. I do not think this is a live crack. It looks fairly old and I think was the result of water draining onto it from the roof many years ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: