can i save this chimney

Old 05-02-06, 07:05 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool can i save this chimney

constructed 1989. 16 in cement chimney blocks lined with 8 in crocks 16 feet tall unsupported above 8 feet the interior crock enters at 6 ft. The annular space is filled with vermiculite. Due to freezing cycles and rocking in a strong wind there are several cracks where the inside crock connects and at 11 ft the entire top portion has shifted 1/2 in to the side.

This chimney barely creates any creosote because of the insulation and is on an ample foundation. The idea I've considered is bricking it up passed the cracks then spiral wrapping with fiberglass and resin or wire mesh and parging. Or demo but what about the vermiculite?

Any ideas out there?

Old 05-02-06, 09:32 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A professional chimney inspection should be considered. From the standpoint of investment of time, labor, and money, it would be best to get a professional inspection of both exterior and interior of chimney and opinion before beginning.

Old 05-02-06, 04:36 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
by bricking the chimney you are not giving it any more support if anything you are making it worse, for what it would cost you to brick it and fiberglass resin it, i think it would be a wise choice to completley tear it down and start from scratch, you can probley still save the foundation and for construction of it i would just go brick all the way up with a metal chimney liner for the flue these are very easy to clean and do the same job as your vmite filled chimney. by doing what your are suggesting you are basically turning your whole chimney into a leaning tower instead of just half of it. I think you would find that your option and rebuilding it would probley be about the same price not to far off anyways. if you can post a link to a picture of the chinmey so we can have a better look at it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: