Brick patio is TOO hot

Old 05-02-06, 02:54 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brick patio is TOO hot

Our pool is surrounded by a large brick patio. On hot summer days, the brick is sizzling. My mil used to lay mats down to create a path from the awning to the pool, but it's a hassle, the mats get soggy and heavy, etc.

The bricks are just set in sand (I think) so one option is to remove a pathway and replace with something comfortable to walk on. Or would painting a white path solve the problem?

Any ideas are welcome.
TIA, Alison

Old 05-02-06, 11:21 PM
Wear Sandals

Last edited by Frank99; 05-04-06 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-03-06, 04:39 PM
B
Sandals aren't particularly convenient when we have large groups going in and out of the pool. Any other ideas?

My dh is thinking about either white paint or replacing a section with concrete. However, I've been on some concrete that gets really hot and others don't. What is the driver? Color, sand content....???

TIA, Alison

Old 05-03-06, 06:32 PM
T
What is a "mil" and a "dh"?

Paint would be an all around disaster, and you are talking pretty serious money to remove and replace the dark brick with a light colored paver. My advice would be to contact a local pool company and see what they say is best for your area.

Old 05-03-06, 09:04 PM
Anything in direct sunlight will get hot. Even a light colored paver will get just as hot but it will take a little longer.Try to shade the area with an awning,a Pergola, a water misting system, they have fans that you hook up to water and it blows a fine mist, grass would be cooler but who wants mud around the pool.
Frank

Old 05-04-06, 03:20 AM
P
There are companies who do very thin overlays of ploymer-modified cement, sometimes erroneously called "Kool-Deck". They are typically done over concrete, but all the information on them says they can be applied over brick, stone, metal, and sometimes even wood as well. They can be done in any color imaginable, but a light color will certainly reflect the sun better than a dark one which will absorb it.
Look in your Yellow Pages under Concrete Contractors or Concrete Restoration or online and do a search for concrete overlays. I'm sure there are several people in your area doing them, as they are quite popular. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 05-04-06, 09:56 AM
The bricks in this patio are set in sand, not a canidate for Kool Deck the result would be Cracked Deck.
Frank

Old 05-04-06, 01:11 PM
P
Oops! Didn't see that! My bad.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: