Stone Walls and Walks - Concrete Footing?

Old 05-14-06, 12:54 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have been advised by several masons that it is best to build a fieldstone retaining wall (3 feet tall) and a blue stone walkway on a concrete footing. They say they will dig a 1" trench lay 6 inches of gravel in the hole first and then 6 inches of concrete on top. The stone wall or blue stone walkway get built on top of the concrete.

Questions:

1. Is the concrete footing really necessary, particularly for the walkway, which I thought could be built on gravel/stone dust? Note that the walkway will involves building about 7 steps.

2. Given that I live in the Northeast (where it gets cold in the winter) shouldn't I dig a 3 foot trench to get below the frost line? I could then lay 2 1/2 feet of gravel and put the 6" concrete footing on top of it. It seems like this is safer.

Old 05-15-06, 03:54 AM
Your retaining wall should be on a footer thats compliant with frost depths in your area. The walkway would be on a floating slab, you do not need to go down to frost requirements for that. If the wall and walkway are side by side, do NOT tie them together since one is floating and one is not.

Old 05-16-06, 07:57 AM
E
Further research I have learned of a material called "Process". I have been advised that this material is perfect for putting under a walkway. It was suggested to dig down about 6 inches, add 4" of Process and tamp it down. Then add 2 inches of stones dust and set the blue stone on top.

Any thoughts on this approach for a walkway in the cold northeast?

Old 05-16-06, 12:02 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here's what I know from experience with concrete pavers - not exactly your case though...

The paver manufacturers are all against concrete footings under paver (concrete block) steps and walls. The theory is that concrete footings don't allow for movement and transmit cracks through the wall. They all suggest a 6" or thicker 3/4" QP (quarry process) base compacted in 2" increments. The theory would seem to make sense for your application, but then again pavers aint fieldstone.

It can't hurt to try a couple more masons for their thoughts, but here in NJ they are scarce at this time...

Good luck!

Old 05-16-06, 01:20 PM
E
Thanks syakoban.

Is there more than one type of process?

You refer to QP or quarry process and I am not sure if this is a particular type of process. One person told me that process is is old and crushed up concrete and asphalt. Someone else told me it includes crushed stone.

Also, what do you mean when you mention 3/4"?

Old 05-16-06, 01:34 PM

Use a 1" sand setting bed on top of the compacted base. This will allow for irregularities in the surface.

The 3/4" referred to is the maximum size rock in the "process". This is a material from 3/4" down to dust (not to much "dust").

Dick

Old 05-16-06, 02:18 PM
S
In my area the 3/4" is a theory, in reality it's 2"+ QP. I guess the pros that build roads can get the real 3/4" from the big quarries with there big dump trucks. I have to get it delivered from the landscape places that don't have true 3/4" QP. Compacts well though...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: