Building brick steps down a slope

Old 05-16-06, 06:18 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building brick steps down a slope

I have a lot of used bricks and I want to build steps down a 45 deg(aprox) slope from one yard to another. The slope is about 20 feet wide, the drop from one level to the other is about 8 feet. The steps will curve a bit to the left near the bottom. I need some suggestions and especially need some basic help designing this stairway. I want to have fairly wide steps, and not much of a drop from one step to the next.

How do I start this...do I start digging and laying from the bottom or the top? The red bricks I have are standard size, and I need some ideas for basic design and then an idea of how much to cut into the slope for each step. I hate to admit this, but I'm really clueless about how to start this project.

Thanking all in advance,

jc

Old 05-16-06, 06:28 PM
T
What is the possible waterflow down the sloe and what type of soil? Are you OK with some flexural movement of the stairs through the years?

Old 05-17-06, 02:33 AM
J
Water flow isn't a problem, I've had some makeshift steps cut into the dirt/slope for years and the loose dirt fills them up as I use them, but the rain doesn't seem to have much effect...this area is under the canopy of a fairly large oak tree.
Also, I'm not too worried about earth movement or the permanence of the steps...and if the alignment or levelness changes over time, well this is earthquake country (S. Calif). The soil is clayish combined with many years of oak mulch, since it's in the shade most of the time it doesn't get hard as a rock in the summer as it does on the sunny side of the yard.

jc

Old 05-17-06, 07:09 PM
T
If this makes any sense to you, here is how I would lay them. I would use medium sand in all of the joints other than those that are shown mortared. The mortar is to contain the sand and help prevent tipping of the lip of the tread. This is strictly a non-permanent installation, what I generally call "creative storage" .

http://lizking.com/bricksteps.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: