underground concrete room?

Old 05-21-06, 01:11 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

my buddy built a chamber under his hut in the back yard, its about 6ft deep and 4x7. first he dug out the hole with flat walls. then, he said he used ground screws that he screwed into the earth and then attached 2x6's horrozontally. then, he screwed in vertical slats. his is made of wood and looks really cool, but when it rains hard it fills with water.

concrete is not water-proof right? if i made a 12x17 foot room but made it out of concrete would there be any way to make it water proof? or, do you inevitably need a sump pump in an under ground room situation?

i would not be able to excavate a huge hole and then frame up and pour the basement room, i can only excavate to the outer width's of the walls, then build an interior frame and fill the gap between the dirt and the frame with concrete. is that completely against concrete philosophy?

Old 05-21-06, 01:16 AM
M
would cinder blocks be the proper way to build a room like this? (when do you use cinder blocks over a concrete pour typically?)

Old 05-21-06, 01:28 AM
M
another thing i was thinking...

what about making the ceiling out of concrete? how often do you need a support pole for a 3" slab? or iron/wood cross beams?

Old 05-21-06, 03:24 AM
B
Did you ever think of just installing a concrete pre cast septic tank for this underground palace. Hopefully you will find one that has not been used.

bs5

Old 05-21-06, 06:47 AM
Used? hah..

What are you using these for? WW3 bunkers or tornado rooms?

Old 05-21-06, 07:07 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Your "buddy" can expect his walls to collapse eventually (next rain maybe). Just hope he is not in it when it happens, since it wll happen after the rain.

If you do what you want to be minimally safe and usable, it will be very, very expensive.

What you are trying to do is is probably motivated by not using outside labor and equipment. That approach will be dangerous and illegal. The type of soil you have makes it more dangerous.

When they work in or dig a 6 foot trench for a sewer, they use braced steel forms for something in place for a very short time and is occupied for only short periods with people in around above. - Still, people die every year.

If you want to build a storm shelter (tornado, hurricane, etc.), go to the FEMA site. They have suggestions and criteria for below and above ground shelter rooms based on a lot of input and testing. FEMA can only provide information and not require anything.

Some local codes are based on these ideas and many people are incorporating them into new homes without being required to.

If you are just thinking of this as a cheap way to get "private" space or as an experiment, forget about it - it won't happen unless you want convert an old opal mine in Australia.

Dick

Old 05-25-06, 08:48 PM
M
yea, when i was driving today i saw three retaining walls in a row that had busted out in the middle. i guess the rains forced the earth through them finally. that would definitely suck if all you beer and you were burried in a concrete/earth mudslide.

i heard it was because of bad drainage. do you need french drains surrounding the room? i looked at some plans on fema and they had underground rooms w/o drainage. maybe they were for different soil types.

Old 05-26-06, 05:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

The FEMA plans are instended for the structure, hardware and venting. They are a little overdone, but they were designed for emergencies when you really need protection (before Katrina even) and were intended for wind/debris (tornado, hurricane) and not for storm surge.

The soil and water conditions would be local.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: