stripping concrete floor

Old 05-22-06, 09:31 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stripping concrete floor

I'm maintenance at a small apt complex and need to strip an interior concrete floor. I have a respirator, but am not sure how to use this muratic acid. how much do I dilute it? should I scrape up the paint? where do I get rid of the used acid?

Thanks in advance
Jackson100

Old 05-22-06, 11:18 PM
P
What is on the floor that you need to strip off, and why? Acid is probably not a very good choice for doing it. There are commercially available strippers that work better with less mess and hazards. A little more info would be helpful.

Pecos

Old 05-22-06, 11:29 PM
J
stripping concrete

the floor is painted with something pretty tough. I tried using Blix floor stripper without much success, and thats the best general stripping agent I know of. What type of paint it is I'm not sure of, but its painted on the slab. The reason I'm stripping it is because the owner wants me to stain the bare concrete.

Old 05-23-06, 03:04 AM
P
OK that's what I was after. You want to stain it. Next question is what type of stain are you using? A pigmented, paint-like stain or acid (chemical) stain. If acid stain, DO NOT use acid to clean the slab! The acid will react with the chemicals in the concrete and could render the slab unstainable. If a pigmented stain, the directions usually say to acid etch it first anyway, so no problem.
I like a product called Hydrostrip available through ICI/Dulux paint stores. It is an environmentally friendly stripper that works very well. I think it is private labelled for ICI/Dulux by Napier Environmental Labs, but it is also called Remove-All under the Napier name.
In any case, I would go with a chemical stripper instead of acid so it only affects the paint, not the concrete under it. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 05-23-06, 06:56 AM
J
thanks Pecos

I really appriciate the advice. I'm going to track some of that stuff down today. Does the "Remove-all" have the same type of respritory hazords as the muratic?

Thanks again,
Jackson100

Old 05-23-06, 03:41 PM
P
Not at all.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: