screed a pad

Old 05-23-06, 06:55 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
screed a pad

I am pouring a 16' x 9' concrete patio. The 16' side is against the house foundation. How do I get a smooth/level surface on this pad? Do I need a 16' long board to screed on top of the forms or is there an easier way to go in the 9' direction?

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-24-06, 02:42 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Place your expansion joint material to elevation against the house. As you pour, hand float a "wet streak" (smooth the concrete) along the house and expansion joint.
When screeding, one guy stands in the concrete and uses the "wet streak" as a guide, running his end of the screed on top of the "wet streak". Be careful not to dig into it. His partner runs his end of the screed on top of the form board. Have a guy in the middle of the two pulling concrete back or filling in low spots with a concrete rake (come-along). This will make screeding a lot easier.
The slab should be screeded as flat as possible, but the bullfloat will flatten out any humps or fill in any dips that will occur. You could do it with a 16 foot board, but the deflection you get with lumber could make the slab humpier. Good luck.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: