Driveway cracks and hollow areas

Old 05-25-06, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My driveway (4 car in size) has the usual cracks that most everyone else has but I hear a "hollow" sound when tapping on the concrete in several areas. Recently I had an oak tree next to the driveway cut down and while this was being done a large branch fell on the driveway creating a new crack. A triangular section surrounded by cracks now is every so slightly loose and somewhat wobbles when walking on it. When tapping on this section, there is a definately "hollow sound" here as well. I can't easily remove this section to look underneath I'm guessing because of wire mesh in the concrete (??). If I just patch the cracks with cement will this hold for a while or should I call someone for more extensive repairs? If repairing myself is an option, can someone tell me what the best way to do this is?
Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-06, 04:13 AM
You've got a void under your slab. Call a mudjacking (slabjacking) company to come out and fill it. they are in the Yellow Pages under that heading, or sometimes under Concrete Contractors. No patch from the top will help.

Pecos

Old 05-26-06, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply....i've called a few contractors for estimates. The problem is that I hear hollow sounds when tapping more than just the one area of the driveway. I have a feeling this is going to be a very large expense. Can water getting through the cement expansion joints be the cause of the voids under the cement? Or even the small cracks already in the cement slab?

Old 05-26-06, 07:06 PM
Highly unlikely. The amount of water getting in through a control joint or expansion joint would pale in comparison to the water that gets under it from the sides. Most likely it was poured on unstable ground, such as a sewer line trench that was backfilled without compaction, etc.
Call the mudjackers to see what they say.

Pecos

Old 05-26-06, 07:35 PM

Something is apparently settling. It is unlikely you have the soil washing up and out if you have a typical level Florida lot. If you have a lower area adjacent, it could be going there.

The sand under your driveway might be washing down into the cracks in the limestone that is under everything in Florida. - Sort of like a mini-sinkhole.

Dick